Ahmed Allam is a Postdoctoral Associate at the MIT Media Lab. His research interests are in ultrasonic systems for underwater wireless power transfer and communications and the ocean internet of things. Ahmed received his M.S. and Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering from Ain Shams University, Egypt, and the Georgia Institute of Technology, USA, in 2017 and 2021, respectively.
Ph.D. 2021 Georgia Institute of Technology
M.A. 2017 Ain Shams University
International student stipend from the Acoustical Society of America (ASA) (2014)
Certificate of merit from the Egyptian president for academic achievement (2013)
Faculty of Engineering Dean’s list at Ain Shams University for academic achievement. (2007-2012)
- Allam, C. L. Arrington, C. St. John, J. Steinfeldt, A. Erturk, and I. El-Kady, “System-Level DC-to-DC Analysis and Experiments of Ultrasonic Power Transfer Through Metallic Barriers,” IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, pp. 1–11, Aug. 2022, doi: 10.1109/TMECH.2022.3195973.
- Allam, K. Sabra, and A. Erturk, “Piezoelectric transducer design for simultaneous ultrasonic power transfer and backscatter communication,” Smart Mater. Struct., vol. 31, no. 9, p. 095003, Jul. 2022, doi: 10.1088/1361-665X/ac7b57.
- Allam, O. Alfahmi, H. Patel, C. Sugino, M. Harding, M. Ruzzene, & A. Erturk, “Ultrasonic testing of thick and thin Inconel 625 alloys manufactured by laser powder bed fusion,” Ultrasonics, vol. 125, p. 106780, Sep. 2022, doi: 10.1016/j.ultras.2022.106780.
- Allam, C. Sugino, M. Harding, P. Bishop, A. Erturk, & M. Ruzzene, Phased array ultrasonic testing of Inconel 625 produced by selective laser melting, ASME J Nondestructive Evaluation, vol. 4, no. 041006, May 2021, doi: 10.1115/1.4050963
- Allam, K. Sabra, & A. Erturk, Sound energy harvesting by leveraging a 3D-printed phononic crystal lens, Applied Physics Letters, vol. 118, no. 10, p. 103504, Mar. 2021, doi: 10.1063/5.0030698
- Allam, K. Sabra, & A. Erturk, 3D-printed gradient-index phononic crystal lens for underwater acoustic wave focusing, Physical Review Applied, vol. 13, no. 6, p. 064064, June 2020, doi: 10.1103/PhysRevApplied.13.064064
- Allam, K. Sabra, & A. Erturk, Aspect ratio-dependent dynamics of piezoelectric transducers in wireless acoustic power Transfer, IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control, vol. 67, no. 5, pp. 984–996, May 2020, doi: 10.1109/TUFFC.2019.2962711
- Alan*, A. Allam*, & A. Erturk, Programmable mode conversion and bandgap formation for surface acoustic waves using piezoelectric metamaterials, Applied Physics Letters, vol. 115, no. 9, p. 093502, Aug 2019, doi: 10.1063/1.5110701 (*contributed equally to this study)
- Allam, A. Elsabbagh, & W. Akl, Experimental demonstration of one-dimensional active plate-type acoustic metamaterial with adaptive programmable density, The Journal of Applied Physics, 121(12), 125106, Mar 2017, doi: 10.1063/1.4979020
- Allam, A. Elsabbagh, & W. Akl, Modeling and design of two-dimensional membrane-type acoustic metamaterials with tunable anisotropic density, The Journal of the Acoustic Society of America, 140, 3607, Nov 2016, doi: 10.1121/1.4966627